SummerSpike 2018 is just around the corner and we couldn’t be more excited. If somehow you haven’t heard, ESPN is airing the tournament on the Fourth of July alongside other Coney Island staples like the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest. To accomodate for the coverage, we needed to adjust some of the logistics of our event.
What’s going to be different?
The tournament will take place at MCU Park where the Brooklyn Cyclones play.
1904 Surf Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11224
Why the change?
- Easier to get to - MCU is near the subways and has a large parking lot.
- In the action - we're now in the heart of Coney Island, steps away from restaurants, rides, and attractions.
- Better accomodations - the park offers concessions, bathrooms, security and more than enough seating.
- Equipped for filming - they've got the equipment and infrastructure to make the tournament look great on ESPN.
- When else are we going to have the chance to run a Spikeball tournament in a professional stadium?
MCU park is a turf field and cleats are allowed. There isn’t any cost to get in and you can come and go as you please, so feel free to invite family and friends.
There will be two different start times and schedules for the day based on your division.
Premier, Advanced and Women’s Division Schedule:
- 8:00 – 8:30: Check-in
- 8:30 – 9:00: Announcements
- 9:00 – 10:30: Pool Play
- 10:30 – 12:00: Break
- 12:00 – 12:30: Round of 32
- 12:30 – 1:00: Break
- 1:00 – 6:00: Bracket Play
- 9:30 – 10:00: Check-in
- 10:00 – 10:30: Announcements
- 10:30 – 12:00: Pool Play
- 12:00 – 12:30: Break
- 12:30 – 5:00 Bracket Play
Like last year, there is a team cap on this tournament. If you're not already registred, sign up now to guarantee your spot.
Teams play one game against each other team in their pool. All pool play games are first to 15 (ie if it's 14 to 14, the next point wins).
All division are single elimination. All teams will compete in bracket play. Based on pool play results, the top teams from each division will be grouped together.
Premier and Women's
- A Bracket (1 - 16 teams), B Bracket (17 – 32), etc.
- All matches are best of 3, first to 15.
Advanced, Intermediate, Beginner
- A Bracket (1 – 32 teams), B Bracket (33 – 64), etc.
- Round of 32 best of 3 series to 15. Round of 16 forward best of 3 series to 21. All matches are win by two.
We encourage all teams to wear matching uniforms (it will look a lot more professional if you end up on TV). If you're playing on the featured court you'll need to wear ESPN approved jerseys that will be provided to you. Here's what they look like: